Tuesday, November 5, 2013

What happened to that sense of community?

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the queue in Lidl on Cork Street and I just realised how distant we have become to each other as humans. I know people will probably say, we like to have our own space and all that. Nevertheless, its kind of strange to see everyday people standing within inches of each other and there is no recognition of another human. I love to smile and say hello to the cashier and normally the feeling seems mutual.

I wasn't going to write anything, until while sitting in the jacuzzi in Carlisle Gym, a day it was packed, I noticed that people were sitting inches from each other. Although they might as well have being sitting on the opposite side of the planet. Not a glimmer of recognition of another. What happened to us? Were we always like this?

One of my underlying goals with KCRarea.com is to look at this concept of community and how we can rejuvenate the spirit of it in our everyday lives.

What do you think? Is this sense of community still alive?

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment